- Get your car seat checked for proper installation by a certified child passenger safety technician. Some local fire and police stations provide free car seat checks. Also make sure it’s appropriate for your child’s age, weight and height.
- Buckle up every time you drive! Lead by example by buckling your seat belt before you even start the car.
- Do not allow your child to play in the car unattended.
- Never allow your child to sit on your lap in a moving vehicle.
- Kids should sit in the back seat until about age 13. This significantly reduces their chance of serious injury.
- Never leave a child unattended in a car. Without exception, always take children with you no matter how quick a stop you’re making.
- Keep loose items stored safely in compartments or pockets in your car to prevent them from becoming projectiles in the event of a car accident.